Saturday, February 15, 2014

Boxed In

Today, my human brought a giant box home and crammed it into our bedroom. She was excited about getting it for free. I assumed at first that this was the "whelping box" that I saw plans for earlier, and I started to imagine those "piggies" in our room. I was getting quite upset... those animals should be kept outside where they belong! But before I could protest, my human told me that this box is going to be my bed instead of my crate. I don't think I like the idea.

Us bloodhounds are never fond of change, especially when we aren't feeling our best. Though my appetite is back to normal, I still nap a lot and find myself grumbling over little things. I guess I should focus on the positive side of sleeping in a box now rather than my crate. It is kinda cozy, warmer, and more cave-like. But I hate the inability to see my human through the solid walls. I prefer to keep an eye on her. I try not to show how much it worries me when she leaves my sight for long periods of time, but I think my overly-exuberant greetings give me away. With all the weird stuff happening lately, I wish she'd stay close. At least this newest development grants me the chance to mope around and land me a few nights of sleep in her bed.

Of course, I must remind myself that I have only recently been lucky enough to share a room with my human. Up until a few months ago, Tipster shared the room with her while I was alone on the level above. He moped quite a bit when he was moved to the other side of her bedroom wall, but he has come to enjoy it over there quite a bit. I must admit that sometimes I do envy his predicament. He has free reign of the room on the other side, complete with his own super-comfy "chaise lounge" and constant access to 40lbs of kibble.





"Tipster", co-owner of my human. Of the Border Collie breed.

Tipster is the eldest of my pack. He is nearly 80 in dog years. I am pretty sure that is older than the biggest humans' ages. Honestly, he is the only member of the family I treat with complete respect. Of course, he had to teach me where my place was, but now I am the only canine member of our family that he tolerates the company of. I do wish that he would play with me. I've seen him play with the humans, so I know he has some puppy inside him somewhere.

Even when he tolerates my presence, his ears are back as if to say "I don't deserve this"

Hopefully, I will never get solemn and standoffish around other dogs. I am proud of the fact that I can play hard, forever displaying my inner puppy. Even despite my tiredness and grumpiness lately, the humans often rub my belly and talk about my inner puppies. They are so kind to remind me all will be well and that I'll be back to normal soon. That would be great! If I were completely myself, I would have this mystery solved! But now, with 36 days left, I am simply happy to have something distract me from worrying when I can't keep an eye on my human. I hope she doesn't mind returning to the room to find me sprawled on her bed. I think she can sleep in the box tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment